Thursday, February 16, 2012

Making Lunch



I bet I am not alone in this. As a mom who works at home I most often have whatever is left unclaimed in the fridge as my lunch. Sometimes it is the remnants of a couple of meals, Sunday's leftover piece of fish and a cup of Tuesday's rice. It is economical and I get a little thrill at using up what would otherwise be thrown away. Sometimes, though, it begins to feel like my job to consume what no one else wants and it makes my solitary weekday lunches feel a little poor and miserly.

I do not enjoy feeling poor and miserly about my lunch.

So, I am trying, at least twice a week, to cook lunch for myself. Nothing fancy but something fresh - food just for me. I am trying to sit down at the table and have a civilized meal at noon. Water in a pretty glass, a cloth napkin. No eating at my desk or snatching bites in between other tasks.

I make a little ritual of coming to a full stop.

It makes a huge difference in the tenor of my day.


2 comments:

  1. I have a hard time with lunch, too. By lunchtime, my little ones are cranky, tired, and hungry... and quite frankly, so am I! Once I get their lunches assembled, I'm at a loss for what to do for myself. By the time I finally whisk them away to naps and get their messes cleaned up, I just want to collapse rather than FIX something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm happy with a can of soup and some hot, buttered toast, but perhaps if I put a small vase of flowers on the table... it just might inspire me. always thinking of Frances in "Bread and Jam" when she sets up her deluxe lunch w/ the lobster-salad sandwich and the rest ;)

    ReplyDelete