Sunday, February 17, 2008

Odds and Ends

It was a catch up weekend for me. I completed and finished three (yes, three) knitting projects that were languishing in the basket pathetically close to being done. I knitted in a very gung ho manner on the baby blanket I'm trying to finish for a March baby and made one of those ridiculous mistakes where the only choice you have is to rip back about four inches (yes, four) and proceed with caution. While this is a small paragraph, the above took up an inordinately large chunk of my weekend.


I made some list for the camping trip we're taking over spring break. I'm in San Antonio remember? It's almost 80 degrees here today. This is my favorite part of a trip or a project, while I'm just making lists in my little notebook and everything is still shiny and possible. This will be The Kid's first full-fledged camping trip, and the first time we've been camping in years and years. It's been so long I've completely forgotten the horror of state park campground bathrooms and the taste of bug repellant.

I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We stopped reading it with The Kid, but I know he'll want to come back to it eventually and I wanted to know what we would be dealing with. I found the book unrelentingly upsetting and thoroughly oppressive. Don't get me wrong, it is well written, but the mood is so well set and feels so hopeless and sad. Even the bright jewel of an ending does little to alleviate the sadness that just oozes out of it. I finished almost every chapter with a shudder and closed the book thinking, "Oh thank god, that's over." Maybe it's just me. Harry has been a part of our family life for so long, I may be having a particularly hard time letting him go.

We are going through another bumpy patch with The Kid and his refusal to eat almost anything except peanut butter, granny smith apples and macaroni and cheese. Wish us luck.

Oh, and here's my boy up in a tree!

1 comment:

  1. What a cutie! At least his limited food choices are healthy. I think most of the major food groups are represented.

    ReplyDelete