Saturday, January 1, 2011

Brand New Year


I'd like to say that this day, this first day of a brand new year, began suddenly different, that I went for a run as I intended, that all the laundry was washed and dried and folded and put away, that I consumed only locally grown organic vegetables, that I did not once get frustrated with Max or with Frank, that I did not spend too much time reading blogs or loitering on the Facebook street corner, that I wrote three crisp new morning pages in my journal or that I transferred all the important dates into this year's calendar but you know, I didn't do any of that. I did, in fact, a whole lot of what I usually do.

I cooked black eyed peas for good luck. I had a long conversation with Frank about our unfolding food allergy plan (more on this later). I left a message for my sister. I called my mother to say happy new year. I took a rambling walk with Frank and Max. I wrote for a bit. I picked up my knitting twice but got distracted both times. I washed and dried a load of laundry that is at this moment wrinkling in the dryer. I baked bread. I washed the dishes. I read and you know, it was a pretty nice way to start a brand new year.

2 comments:

  1. In other words, life as normal. Which is wonderful, exciting, boring, hectic, loving, spiteful, loud, calm, and interesting.

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I've started it off with the best of intentions. I'm promising to record all my sending on Quicken and go to yoga at least three times a week and also spend way less time at work. We'll see how THAT goes!

    ReplyDelete