Friday, January 15, 2010

Fragments


I've been writing in little fits and starts since mid-December. Three lines here, two there, a rare complete thought every few days.

I write this way sometimes, creating a big pile of fragments until I reach some invisible tipping point and suddenly see how they are all connected to some central moment or idea or how they are really already a poem, and my job is to puzzle all those pieces into the right place.

It's just not happening this time. I've got lots of pieces but they just seem random with a few recurring themes: desire, geography, a couple of stunning lines about the laws of physics, memory, time.

Today, my fragments are stubbornly remaining fragments.

4 comments:

  1. It will come to you.
    Since doing a healing art journal words have started to flow for me. I would like to invite you to join in on a deck of me challenge. the details are on my last post. It helps to try other things to get your creativity blooming again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I can't get started either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I have to be stuck at least I'm in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get this way with my fiction, too--perhaps the fragments are longer, but fragmented all the same. Even if they don't cohere to something bigger, they still have value. Sometimes it's just a way of sweeping out the corners of your mind, and sometimes, it's to plant a seed for a later time, a moment of boredom perhaps, when you're sifting through the thoughts and then wham! one grabs you by the collar! And then you run with it...

    ReplyDelete