Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Where I Work


When we first moved into this house my studio was in the guest room. That was the setup in our last house and it worked quite well but here, I was in the farthest room from the kitchen and the living room. This was fine in the mornings when Max was at school but in the afternoon and evening I was constantly running back and forth down the hall. When I was at my desk I felt cut off, separate from what was going on in the rest of the house.

I hung on to the space for as long as I could. We have a small house and how could I willingly give up a whole room? Eventually I began to move my work into the living room or write from the dining room table but I missed the idea of a designated space – a space of my own to write and create from.

It took a few months of wandering room to room for me to find and settle into another area of the house but eventually I found myself drawn to the little alcove off the kitchen.

I love the way my studio is tucked into this small space and though I share it with a pantry and the water cooler I couldn't be happier. The size of the space doesn't limit me, in fact I think the location reflects something true about who I am. I am a writer who is also at the heart of a household, a family. Now I am in the thick of afternoon activity with Max and yet I can sit and write in between the tasks of dinner prep or batches of supper dishes.

I need my own space but I also need my finger on the pulse of my household. It's the best of both worlds.

If you like to see where other inspired minds go to create, check out wishstudio's filling the well.

2 comments:

  1. Your alcove looks perfect, Laura! My studio has moved over the years in this house. At one time, it was upstairs, then, in the sunroom downstairs, finally in what was once the dining room. We changed it back to a dining room when we had our house on the market, and haven't changed it back, yet. I have no studio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know that doesn't stop you from drawing! Where will your studio be next?!

    ReplyDelete