Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Have a Confession to Make

I've been keeping a secret and I think the time has come to confess. For the past couple of months I have been... running. I didn't mention it here because I honestly thought it was just a fluke and wouldn't last but here it is, over two months later, and the running doesn't seem to be going away.

It started very innocently. One day while I was walking I looked up and noticed a car parked halfway up the block and for some strange reason I thought, "I bet I can run all the way to that car" and I did. It felt weird and awkward.

The next day, I thought the same thing and I ran a little past the car. Less weird, less awkward. Then I started running whenever I crossed the street, and running up to and past some of the other landmarks on my way. A few days later it dawned on me that I was running more than walking. A few days after that it started to feel pretty good.

Once it became full on running, I would be sore the next day and have to skip a day. I hate skipping a day.

This week I ran two days in a row. I even ran a little bit today, though I feel a bit shin-splinty. I meant to just walk but I couldn't help myself. I had to run just a little.

I think it's a very effective way for me to get out of my head and into my body. When I'm writing, I am mostly in my head and running forces me back down into my breath, my heartbeat.

So, now you know my secret. What secrets have you been keeping from the internet?

1 comment:

  1. On days you feel sore, you should do something. I think I remember my husband saying (back when he ran) that the soreness is caused by lactic acid build up in your muscles (a result of exercise) and doing some light jogging will help flush it out of your system.

    But good for you with the running!

    ReplyDelete