Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolution


I have tried every possible permutation of New Year's resolutions.

I've made a detailed list and ignored it.

I've made detailed lists and posted them on walls, inside nightstand drawers, on bathroom mirrors, and one year, on the sun visor of my car.

I've skipped making resolutions entirely.

I've filled a sheet of paper with positive, uplifting things I could do.

I've resolved to do two things and memorized them, doing away with the list entirely.

In short, me and the list of resolutions – not the best of friends. And yet, it's a new year, a new beginning, a clean slate and I want to move forward this year in a lot of ways. I don't want to change my life. I just want to boost the volume, take it up a notch, live a little bit louder.

I want to be healthier so I can walk further and faster. I want to keep up with my kid.

I want to spend more time creating. Whether it is knitting, sewing, photography or writing, I want to do at least one small creative thing every day.

Instead of a list this year, I chose four words to represent these ideas and I'm going to put them everywhere, on the cover of my journal, on the wall, on my screensaver. I'm going to make bookmarks using these words. I'm going to plaster them all over my life.

I'm going to read and write and sing and shout and whisper and chant these words over and over until they become a part of me. I'm going to infuse my life with these four words for an entire year, just to see what happens.

MOVE NOURISH CREATE PLAY


It's a little bit like a list, but not a list. What are you resolving to do in this new year?

16 comments:

  1. I like your "I want" list. It's full of hope. A list of resolutions feels like a list of duties sometimes. All the time?

    I was thinking about a list of "I wants" -- a vision board, whatever -- about a house in Hot springs. Will give it some thought.

    Excellent not-a-list.:) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I am definitely doing a vision board for the new year too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo--this is a good one! And oh so doable--you can do this! I've got plans and will be making an announcement/declaration on the blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I can't wait to hear your plans for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what I do? I just stop calling them Resolutions. Like...I'm trying to be better about money this year. Just take it day by day. Week by week. Like an alcoholic does...not that I would know. But I'm telling you that the short-term goal works better in the long run. Just tell yourself that "tomorrow? you're going to work out or move your body in some way". Then do it. Vary the routine. Give yourself a day off. But keep it up. Don't think about the whole year. Think about tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there L,

    Happy New Year! Off to work, but thanks for including MOVE(ment, catalogued, of course, is my favorite form of the word) in your list!
    peace!
    Deborah @
    lepaysfoodfarmfrugal.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am striving to do much the same as you.

    I would really like to carve out more of myself this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. G, I'll say it again, I believe it's going to be a great year for us...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laura,
    I love your strategy and I love the words. I couldn't bring myself to make any resolutions either (are we having a mid-life crisis or something?) Anyway, I wrote three affirmations which I'm writing and saying aloud 15 times daily. We'll see what happens . . . Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natural penis enlargement ways to enlarge your penis size in length and penis girth by using natural herbal penis enlargement products that naturally increase penis in few weeks by www.penisenlargementway.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penis Enlargement Warning! - Truth On Male Enhancement Products. Discover the truth on male enhancement pills and penis enlargement supplements. Find out how to enlarge your penis fast. www.penis4enlargement.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vigrx plus is the safest, effective and most completely method for increasing your penis size no side effects and risk free. enlarge your penis today with vigrx plus at www.vig-rxplus.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Penis Enlargement: Pills, Extenders (Enlargers) & Natural Exercises - We offer Penis enlargement, Bigger Penis Enhancement pills and techniques to you at remarkable prices. buy penis enlargement products at www.Naturalherbalz.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you Not Satisfied with your Penis Size? Now Nature Herbals Provide Natural Penis Enlargement Pills,Patches,Oils And Devices at Remarkable Rate. Check it Out - Order Now + Get Free Shipping World Wide At www.Natureherbals.info

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really like your blog and images are also beautiful. Keep sharing more post like this.
    http://pragatisoftware.com/

    ReplyDelete