Monday, December 10, 2007

Dear Local Nursery Who Shall Remain Nameless

Dear Local Nursery:


Hi. We bought our Christmas tree from you on Friday afternoon. We have done so for the last three years. We have always been very happy with the trees and like to shop at your nursery. Unfortunately on Friday, your usually excellent customer service fell more than a little short.


We picked out a fine tree and when an employee walked by, I asked, "Could you cut an inch off the base for us?" I must have made the terrible mistake of asking a manager because his response was, "I can get someone to do that for you." So, you removed the tag and sent me and my kid off to pay for said tree, while my dear husband pulled the car around to the back of the lot. Our tree was then bundled up and tied to the roof of our car and all was well until yesterday, when we noticed the tree was not taking up water, no water at all.


At this point it dawns on me that you, or the lower-on-the-totem-pole employee you asked, did not cut an inch off the base as we requested. Instead you sent us off with a tree whose base was basically sealed shut with sap and was destined to die a brittle and messy death in a day or two. I know that some will say we should have stayed with the tree and watched to make sure you did as you promised, but we have shopped here for three years and we trusted you to do what is commonly required to keep a Christmas tree alive.


So today as I remove all of our decorations so we can lug the tree out onto the deck, lop off a chunk of the trunk, lug it back into the house, clean up the mess that will ensue, and decorate our tree for the second time, I am not wishing you much of a Merry Christmas.


You have snuffed out a tiny bit of my holiday spirit and I don't know if I can forgive you.


Sincerely,

Laura

2 comments:

  1. What a drag...literally. Whatever happened to customer service?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't get me (or Lefty for that matter) started...

    Levae it to The Kid to help me put a positive spin on things - he's thrilled to get to decorate the tree again!

    ReplyDelete